From 1 January 2015, all students doing nationally recognised training need to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI). USI is a new tool that provides students with a unique reference number that gives them access to their individual USI account. This account is then linked with the National Vocational Education and Training (VET) data collection to allow them to view training results and qualifications from all registered providers.
This simple new program will make it easier for students and providers create a one stop location for VET records to be collated into a single authenticated transcript.
At The Driving School we make the USI application process easy and seamless for those who don’t currently have one.
What are the goals of the Unique Student Identifier (USI) plan?
- Link any available information about a student’s VET accomplishments, from wherever the studies were completed
- Provide students with unmatched access to secure digital transcripts of all their VET accomplishments
- Allow students greater access and better control over their individual educational records
Benefits of the Unique Student Identifier (USI)
- Give students never before seen access to a complete transcript of their VET records from a single online source
- Give students the ability to provide VET training providers an online authenticated record of their current student attainments
- Support the recording of enrolment details and create a process for assessing eligibility for funding assistance
- Immediate access to VET records. This means they can be quickly given to employers, other training organisations etc.. as proof of VET achievements
- Easier and quicker process for credit transfers and Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) courses.
- Start the first step in building a range of VET reforms by supplying relevant and accurate information about students’ training, achievement and movements within the VET system
- Greatly assist in the continued goal of transparency in the VET sector
- Build a national system for storing consistent training information, assuring high quality training and promote future growth
- The data produced from the estimated 3 million enrolments currently in the VET system each year will be collected and thoroughly analysed.
- With all the results vital to helping the VET system respond and improve quickly to meet students’ needs and the skill requirements of industry and the Australian economy
The Driving School’s Analysis of the Unique Student Identifier (USI) Initiative
As the Gold Coast’s leading heavy vehicle and truck licence centre The Driving School believes that the Unique Student Identifier (USI) initiative established at the beginning of 2015 is a positive step forward by the Australian Government because:
- The program will provide students’ with a more efficient system that better promotes their attainment of VET qualifications
- It creates a far more effective platform for gathering valuable information to help improve the current VET training industry
- Will allow the VET training industry to tailor courses more specifically to align with student preferences and the needs of the Australian economy
On the other end of the scale the newly formed USI program is only going to collect results on courses completed from 1st January 2015 onwards. We believe that this will mean the initiative will need to progress in the near future to allow students to upload previous records/transcripts to be recognised.
The Driving School will continue to monitor the execution of the Unique Student Identifier (USI) initiative and keep you informed on any further policy changes to assist anyone undertaking or wishing to commence their VET qualifications.